Pastor Mark Vincenti provides tips and ideas on reading the Bible.
Two common hang-ups to Bible reading:
1) I don’t know where to start.
2) I don’t know how to get anything out of what I read.
I would recommend starting in two places:
1) Read a chapter of Proverbs every day. There are 31 chapters so there is one for each day of each month. Just turn to the chapter that corresponds to whichever day it is.
2) Begin reading through the Gospels: Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John. Pick one and start reading about the life of Jesus.
Tips for increased engagement when reading the Bible:
1) Pray before you read. Ask the Holy Spirit to open your heart up so that you can be good soil for God’s Word to take root and grow in your life.
2) Ask questions when you read, like: What does this say about God? What does this teach about myself, or life in general? What do I need to do about it?
3) When something strikes you, stop and dialogue with God about it. Why does this strike you? Why is this so significant? What is God saying to you?
4) Commit to obey what God is teaching you through His Word and ask for His grace to empower you to follow Him!
Remember, the goal of Bible reading isn’t to finish. It is to be changed!
See this book – this unique, God-breathed, God-given gift to you – as an invitation to a real encounter with the Living God through His Word!
Open the Bible. Open your heart!
Get into the Word.
Let the Word get into you!