Week two of our series Living In a “Not Okay” World, Pastor Gary shares advice for dealing with what we don’t understand.
If I Believe, Why Do I Doubt?
If you ever arrive at a place where all your doubts are gone and all your questions are answered, take a deep breath and relax because you’ve arrived in heaven.
Categories of doubt:
What do we need to understand?
1) Many people think doubt is the opposite of faith, but it isn’t. ___________ is the opposite of faith.
2) Many people think doubt is something God just won’t ______________.
3) Many people think struggling with God means we lack _____________, but that’s not true.
The story of John the Baptist
Let me make some recommendations about handling doubt.
1. Admit your __________ and ask for help.
2. Recognize that ____________ is a choice, not a feeling.
3. Act on your faith, not your doubts.
4. _________________that there are some things you will never understand this side of heaven.
5. Keep going back to what you know to be _________. (2 Timothy 1:12)
Do Christians and Muslims Worship the Same God?
Quote from Dr. Larycia Hawkins, “I stand in religious solidarity with Muslims because … we worship the same God.”
Why is this important?
I want us to “grow in clarity” and “grow in charity”.
Growing in clarity: An important part of answering this question, “Do Christians and Muslims worship the same God?” is considering what each faith believes about Jesus. “Who is Jesus?” in the context of Islam and Christianity. This passage about the visit of the Magi (the wise men) written by Matthew very clearly helps understand what the Christian believes about Jesus. Matthew shows us these three signs.
1. An unusual ___________. (Numbers 24)
2. Scripture after Scripture after Scripture ____________.
3. Jesus is ________________.
What are the arguments that Christians and Muslims do worship the same God?
1. The ‘only god in town’ argument
2. The ‘close enough for me’ argument
3. The “but what about the Jews?” argument.
Pastor Gary deals with the question “will everyone get to heaven?” Most everyone is familiar with John 14:6 “Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.'”